Disputes are best resolved away from court and courts should only be used as a last resort if you have exhausted other ways to sort things out.
Resolving matters without having a court make the decision is known as “Alternative Dispute Resolution” or “ADR”. ADR involves an independent third person helping people to resolve their dispute either through mediation (helping reach agreement) or arbitration where someone outside the court system is engaged to make a binding decision in a matter through arbitration or private judging.
- Mediation is private and confidential – your matter isn’t in an open courtroom
- Mediation is less expensive than having a court decide your matter
- Mediation is less stressful than going to court
- Mediation has your matter resolved more quickly than going to court
- Mediation reduces the correspondence between lawyers
- Mediation be more creative, allowing parties to consider alternatives than would not be considered by a court
- Research reveals that agreements reached in mediation are more likely to be respected and adhered to by parties
- People feel like they have been more heard and had their needs considered in mediation
- Mediation is successful
Mediation at OFRM
We are big fans of mediation at OFRM. Our areas of mediation include: